Note: This article may contain commentary reflecting the author's opinion.

The city of Chicago saw 47 people shot this past weekend, with six dying from their injuries beginning on Friday evening and going into Sunday morning.

Multiple shootings occurred in the Loop and West Chatham parking lots. This resulted in one victim, 29, succumbing to his injuries and another, 23, being wounded in a shooting near the same place, at 3:20 AM on Saturday. 

Just five minutes earlier, a man was fatally shot in a South Side parking lot and another man — about a half hour earlier and a mile away — was also fatally shot aboard a Chicago Transit Authority (CTA) train car, according to The Chicago-Sun Times.

Chicago Police Department (CPD) Superintendent David Brown and CTA President Dorval Carter held a press conference on Saturday afternoon following the shooting, in which they announced the deployment of more officers, however, they declined to specify an exact amount. 

“It is unacceptable and will not be tolerated,” Brown said of the carnage. “No resident should think twice about their safety on any part of the CTA or in our neighborhoods.”

“This was a senseless act of violence that has no place in the city and especially not in the CTA,” Carter added.

Other non-fatal attacks across the city included two double shootings injuring four teenagers — one as young as 15 — near the South Side in the early morning hours on Saturday.

Two 17-year-old boys, meanwhile, were shot just three hours earlier in the 3900-block of South King Drive in Bronzeville. A 30-year-old man was also found unresponsive, with a gunshot wound to the neck at around 5 AM Saturday.

CHICAGO MOTHER MOTIVATED TO JOIN POLICE FORCE AFTER LOSING SON IN SHOOTING: ‘IT’S A HARD PILL TO SWALLOW’

Ilhan Omar claims she didn’t realize she was being anti-Semitic against Jewish people. Do you believe her?*
This poll gives you free access to our premium politics newsletter. Unsubscribe at any time.
This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Shootings like this happen frequently in the Windy City. Ollie Jean Holiness, a city resident, sat down with Fox News recently to discuss the murder of her son in East Chicago.

“It was just a regular night… my son thought he heard fireworks and before I knew it, my car was being ambushed,” she said on “Fox and Friends,” after a gunman senselessly shot her child. 

Holiness, whose 7-year-old was killed in the drive-by shooting in her family car, explained to the hosts what her family was going through at the time.

“My oldest son thought he heard fireworks and that’s when I looked around,” she replied. “It started to dawn on me that those aren’t fireworks, the bullets are actually ricocheting off of my car.” 

Despite the tragedy, however, Holiness hopes to use the incident as motivation to become a Chicago police officer. 

“It defiantly gives me more motivation and courage to keep pushing,” she proclaimed. “As a mother, there’s no moving on. I carried this baby for nine months. I got a chance to learn who he is and who he could possibly be in the future and… there is nothing in this world that can make you actually get over it. There is no getting over this, it’s a hard pill to swallow.” 

Families across Chicago have been torn apart by violent criminals who commit crimes without any fear of repercussions, because lawmakers lack the courage to do what must be done. 

Mayor Lori Lightfoot (D) has utterly failed and without proper policy changes, more families will continue to suffer. Chicago’s only hope may lie in the residents like Holiness, who are willing to take matters into their own hands — in an attempt to stop this unprecedented crime wave from bleeding the city streets dry. 

You Can Follow Sterling on Twitter Here